12/04/2004

Elbert Hubbard of East Aurora

Via an excellent post on Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915) from LawPundit

"Elbert Hubbard's business 'Credo':

I believe in myself.
I believe in the goods I sell.
I believe in the firm for whom I work.
I believe in my colleagues and helpers.
I believe in American business methods.
I believe in producers, creaters, manufacturers, distributors, and in all industrial workers of the world who have a job, and hold it down.
I believe that Truth is an asset.
I believe in good cheer and in good health, and I recognize the fact that the first requisite in success is not to achieve the dollar, but to confer a benefit, and that the reward will come automatically, and usually as a matter of course.
I believe in sunshine, fresh air, spinach, applesauce, laughter, buttermilk, babies, bombazine and chiffon, always remembering that the greatest word in the English language is 'Sufficiency.'
I believe that when I make a sale I make a friend.
And I believe that when I part with a man I must do it in such a way that when he sees me again he will be glad - and so will I.
I believe in the hands that work, in the brains that think, and in the hearts that love.
Amen, and Amen. "

From Elbert Hubbard of East Aurora