10/24/2006

What Holds You Back? Examine Your Core Beliefs

"Brenda has always wanted to have her own business. She's had numerous innovative ideas for new ventures, so many that her friends have dubbed her 'the idea lady'. Trouble is, each time she considers putting one of her ideas into action, her mind automatically goes to either 'Most small businesses fail in the first few years' or 'I don't have enough business education to manage it correctly' or 'I don't have enough capital to make it happen, and what bank is going to give me a loan?'

Brenda stops herself from acting before she even begins. Her heart is telling her that having her own business would express her potential and be a joyous, fulfilling experience, but she pulls back every time.

She can't even consider taking a business course to bone up on her skills, or doing some market testing, or having someone help her write a business plan so she can present it to a potential investor. She can't get this far, because her erroneous core beliefs arrest any further consideration...

No matter how long these erroneous core belief have been with us, no matter how deeply implanted they are in our subconscious, they can be uprooted. The process of uprooting begins with identifying the erroneous core beliefs as mere perceptions, then discovering the truth which is hidden behind them...

We live in a world that repeatedly tells us...life is a crap shoot, and most businesses and marriages fail. It tells us that only a few individuals have the power and it's those who will ultimately determine our fate. It tells us we need to aggressively compete with each other in order to win in the game of life. It tells us to grab for what we can, because there's not enough to go around. This world tells us to fear our neighbors and to be suspicious of everyone we meet.

No wonder we're terrified of trying anything new, be it a relationship or career change... We have accepted these pernicious lies for so long they have become our reality...

[A]way of discovering our core beliefs is to examine the attitudes or feelings we have about certain situations. Often, this is where our core beliefs are reflected. The following are examples of some common human attitudes and the limiting core beliefs which may be reflected in them. After the core belief is revealed, a statement of Authentic Truth is
offered...

Attitude: 'Look at the rude guy driving that expensive car. Does he think he owns the entire road? Who does he think he is? Why can't I have a cool car like that? I'll bet he cheats people to make his money.'

Possible Core Beliefs: The Universe isn't fair because it makes it easy for some to get what they want and tough for me. Rich people are rude. You have to be ruthless to make money. Therefore, I'll never get what I want unless I compromise my values.

Authentic Truth:...If this individual can manifest a beautiful car, then so can I. The same principle that brought it to him will bring it to me. Therefore, I can be happy for this person. Also, I know that many people make money doing worthwhile things. If they can do it, so can I...

Attitude: 'I hate this job. They don't appreciate me. I work too hard -- and for what? I'm too talented/smart for this. I'm bored, but I can't leave because I need the insurance, got to pay my bills, need the steady paycheck, etc. Also, the economy is so bad right now, no one is hiring.'

Possible Core Belief: The Universe is limited. I'm not being taken care of. There's too much competition. Doing what I love doesn't pay the bills. I'm too old, didn't get the right education, didn't follow the correct career path, am not smart enough, not motivated enough, etc., etc. I don't have what it takes to succeed.

Authentic Truth:...I was created as a magnificent, intelligent, and talented individual with a unique gift to give this world. It is natural for me to be fulfilled, satisfied, successful and happy...I am open, and am being guided, to new opportunities which are unfolding in my life right now...

Remember you have dominion over the core beliefs that occupy your mind and you have the power to change them!"

Quoted from the book Mastering Your Desires ©1998, by Victoria Loveland-Coen, founder of Self Mastery Press. For more information visit Journey Toward Selfmastery.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,